A sole trader is a self employed person who owns all of their business. Here’s what you need to know about registering as a sole trader.

How do I register as a sole trader?

Sole traders must register with HM Revenue and Customs. There are three ways you can do this:

  • complete the online form via HMRC
  • print off the form and fill it in, and send it to the address on the form
  • telephone HMRC on 0300 200 3310.

What information do I need to provide?

You’ll need to supply information such as:

  • National Insurance (NI) number
  • name
  • date of birth
  • postal address
  • telephone number
  • email address
  • name of business
  • what type of work you do
  • start date.

If you don’t have an NI number, you can apply for one from Jobcentre Plus on 0845 600 0643, or textphone 0845 600 0643.

If you have an NI Number but you can’t find it, you’ll need to go online and fill in form CA5403. Alternatively, call 0300 200 3502 or textphone 0300 200 3519.

How soon do I need to register?

Register as soon as you can after starting your business. At the latest, you should register by 5 October in your business’s second tax year. For example if you start working as a sole trader between April 2014 to March 2015, you should register before 5 October 2015. If you register later than this, you won’t get a penalty as long as you send your Self Assessment tax return and pay your bill on time.

How much does it cost to register as a sole trader?

It costs nothing to register as a sole trader.

How long does registration take?

It takes 10 working days (21 days if you’re abroad) to complete the registration process. HMRC will post you an activation code. You’ll be prompted for this when you log in to your online account (known as a ‘Government Gateway account’) for the first time.

How do I update these details if they change?

If your details change, inform HMRC by:

  • going online and filling in the changed details form
  • calling 0300 200 3310 (textphone 0300 200 3319).

When do I need to submit my first tax return?

You need to report your self-employment income by submitting a tax return after the end of each tax year. The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April the following year.

The deadlines for submitting your return and paying any money you owe are:

  • paper tax returns: 31 October
  • online tax returns: 31 January
  • pay tax you owe: 31 January following the end of the tax year. There are rules surrounding making payments on account - see guidance from GOV.UK

Next Steps

To register online or to download form CWF1, click here to visit the HMRC online service

Use form CWF1 to register as a self-employed sole trader.

Read more

Sole trader or limited company?

Choosing whether to set up as a sole trader or a limited company is a key decision for a new business. As two of the most common legal structures, there are some important differences that you'll need to consider. 

Read more

Stay informed

Register or Login to add this article to your reading list.

Share this