Skip to main content
5 min read

How much Income Tax will I pay as a sole trader?

If you are a sole trader your tax will be self-assessed. This article gives you an overview of the self-assessment process, shows you how to calculate Income Tax and takes a look at the payments on account regime for the self-employed.

How much Income Tax will I pay as a sole trader?

The tax free allowance for 2018/19 is £11,850.

Sole traders with income above £100,000 will see a restriction to their personal allowance and sole traders with income in excess of £123,700 will not have a personal allowance.

Sole traders (and partners in partnerships once the partnership profits have been apportioned) will pay tax at the same rates as employees.

The table shows the tax rates you pay in each band if you have a standard Personal Allowance of £11,850.

Band Taxable income Tax rate
Basic rate £0 to £34,500* 20%
Higher rate £34,501 to £150,000* 40%
Additional rate over £150,000* 45%

*For 2018/19, there are different income tax rates for Scottish residents

Note: Other income that sole traders receive in addition to business profits will need taxing separately. There are different rules for both tax and National Insurance for different income types. It is best to speak to a professional if you have particularly complex tax affairs. 

Here are examples showing tax rates at 20% and 40%. 

  • Rakesh buys and sells things online

    He has self-employed annual profits in 2018/19 of £19,000. After deducting the Personal Allowance of £11,850, he has £7,150 of taxable income. This falls within the 20% band and therefore tax is due of £1,430 (£7,150 x 20%).

  • Sandra is a self-employed electrician

    She has annual profits in 2018/19 of £50,000. After deducting the Personal Allowance of £11,850, she has £38,150 of taxable income. The first £34,500 will be taxed at 20% and the remaining £3,650 will be taxed at the higher rate ((£34,500 x 20% )+ (£3,650 x 40%) = £8,360).

How is my profit calculated?

The starting point will be a profit and loss account which is effectively the sales that the business has made minus the business’ costs and overheads. However, some of these costs, although perfectly allowable for accounting purposes are not allowed as expenses for tax purposes. The rules here are complicated and it is important you get it right, so it is worth paying a professional for advice.

Download: Calculate your Income Tax

To calculate your Income Tax enter your net pay into the relevant field in the spreadsheet. Click on the button below to download this calculator. 

Download: Please login or register to get your download.

Login or Register

When do I need to report my profit?

Accounts are usually prepared for a 12 month period, which may not fall in line with the tax year which for tax year 2018/19 starts on 6 April 2018 and end on 5 April 2019.

Where it is a 12 month accounting period, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) allow you to use the ‘normal basis’. This means you tax the accounts that end in the tax year even though part of the accounting period will fall in the previous tax year.

As an example let’s assume Chloe prepares her sole trader accounts each year to October. In 2018/19 her accountant will tax Chloe on the year’s accounts ending on 31 October 2018 as these accounts end in 2018/19.

The rules are more complex for six months (short) or 14 months (long) sets of accounts, when a business makes losses or when a business ceases to trade.

When do I need to pay Income Tax?

Income Tax is payable on 31 January following the tax year. Where most of your income is not taxed throughout the year as it is earned e.g a self-employed individual, it is likely that you will fall under the payments on account regime. Payments on account are advance payments towards your next year’s income tax. 

Let’s say it is 2018/19 and you make payments on account each year.

  • You will make a payment on account on 31 January 2018, which will be equal to half of the previous year’s tax liability.
  • You will make a further payment on account on 31 July 2018, once again equal to half of the previous year’s tax liability.

Once the actual tax liability is calculated for 2018/19, you will deduct the payments you have already made and pay or reclaim the difference from HMRC.

Most small businesses will work with an accountant here to ensure they are making the correct payments on account.

Need an accountant? Let's arrange a call.

Our AAT Licensed Accountants are skilled to offer practical guidance to help you run your business efficiently and ensure you're compliant with business and tax legislation. They’re a great way to give you peace of mind so you can concentrate on doing the things you do best. Fill in the form below and we’ll ask one of them to get in touch.

End of Article
Share this content

Register with Informi today:

  • Join over 20,000 like-minded business professionals
  • Create your own personalised account with curated reading lists and checklists
  • Access exclusive resources including business plans, templates, and tax calculators
  • Receive the latest business advice and insights from Informi
  • Join in the discussion through the comments section


I’ve been working through the how to start a business in 20 days ebook and so many of the things I’d done are now nicely tied together and some gaps now filled. I love the simplicity. Thank you.

Sarah Gosling – Gosling Charity Consulting

I love receiving my Informi emails. They’re always well written and engaging.

Jennifer Hobson – JEH Bookkeeping